I love ALL nut butters, but peanut butter has a special place in my heart. The taste, the texture, and (if you choose the right one) the health benefits are all things I just can’t pass up! Peanut butter is used in my house almost daily, it’s just a part of our lives. Here are a few reasons why peanut butter should be a part of your family’s life.
1.Peanut Butter makes you feel full. Sometimes my kids drive me CRAZY constantly telling me that they are hungry. Add some peanut butter to their snack to keep them fuller for longer.
- Peanut butter is DELICIOUS! Enough said.
- Peanut butter makes healthy eating easier. Peanut Butter is one of my secret weapons to encourage healthy eating. Add a big spoonful to your smoothie, spread it on apple slices, prepare ants on a log and make the BEST tasting Bliss balls (see recipes below)
- Peanut Butter is a great source of healthy fat and protein. Peanut butter is a great way to add healthy calories for underweight kids and to support athletic kids.
- Peanut Butter is a great source of selenium (a powerful antioxidant) and niacin (regulates fat metabolism) which are important for our body!
But did you know that not all Peanut butters are created equally? It’s true, so you need to look for the healthy peanut butter for your family and stay away from the others.
Here are some important things to look for when choosing a healthy peanut butter.
- Look for added ingredients you don’t need. My favorite peanut butters have only one ingredient- peanuts.
- Watch out for added sugar (a no-no)
- Make sure it doesn’t have too much salt
- Don’t give in to the flavored nut butters. Although they look delicious, that chocolate peanut butter spread will be loaded with sugar.
The really cool thing about peanut butter is how simple it is to make at home!
How to make your own peanut butter:
What you will need:
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- Food processor
- 5 minutes (I know its hard busy mamas, but squeeze in these 5 minutes and try this out!)
What you do:
- Place peanuts in food processor. Turn it on and let it run for 4-5 minutes. Once the peanut butter has hit it’s “smooth and creamy” phase, you are done!
- Store in room temperature if you plan on eating it within the next few days, or in the fridge if it will take you a few weeks to get through.
Now for some DELICIOUS peanut butter recipes. If PB ain’t your thing, sub in any other nut or seed butter into these recipes.